Saturday, August 12, 2023

The twisted cable scarf is emerging from the big yarn head

The big yarn head has been turning into a scarf. I've finally begun the creation of the Frankenstein monster scarf from the remains of the old vest. But don't worry, the scarf isn't scary.

I've been reacquainting myself with crocheting lately and decided to just dive into making this scarf already. I found a lot of very lovely patterns and stitches on Youtube and after drooling over them for some time, decided for a cable stitch pattern: https://www.throughtheloopyc.com/fairbrook-scarf-free-pattern/ I know I said I would make something lacy, but it turns out I'm not... Maybe next time.

However, mine being a super bulky yarn, I had to make fewer repeats, which meant just 3 cables. And, not wanting to make anything too bland, I decided to make it look like the cables were twisted together at the middle. I know there must be a pattern for that out there somewhere, but I figured that trick out all by myself and I'm awfully proud of it, I must say! Heh.

Here it is, well, the first twisty part anyway:

My phone never manages to get the colour right. This is navy blue.

I have been pondering if I should make 3-4 of these twisties one after the other until I reached the optimum scarf length, or if I should only do one at the beginning and one at the end. I eventually decided on the latter. It shouldn't be too busy or bulk up too much around the neck. The two ends that usually just drape down are enough to show off the accents.

Of course, feel free to give me any kind of feedback about it.

As a side note, I was trying to follow the video tutorial for this first, but it threw me off that they kept using back loop only, even if in the end that would have been too much ribbing. I had a few false starts because of that. The rest were me remembering how to crochet properly or experimenting with the design.

I have a set of notes I always keep handy when crocheting, since I'm still more or less a beginner. I have decided to put them up on my page here: My crochet notes and tips. Maybe someone will find them useful. I definitely do!

4 comments:

  1. Oh that looks really good. Bulky yarn isn’t always good for lacy, so I think this is a better choice. Yes, good idea to have the twists at the ends and smoother in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm happy I'm finally going the right way with this yarn.

      Delete
  2. Good crochet notes and tips! Will return to read your Tatting notes and tips 🌹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! But I will keep adding to them both along the way.

      Delete

Any feedback or questions are welcome.