Sunday, August 13, 2023

Have you been frogging again?

Who, me? Ehehe. Maybe.

Ok, I definitely did unravel the scarf after about 25 rows. No, I have no regrets.

I went through my notes again and noticed I was doing something wrong. I was using only 1 ch to turn to the next row in hdc, instead of 2 ch. Also, my edges, especially in the beginning, were a bit wonky. Plus, the turning chain made the right side of the twist look wider. Just a tad.

Argh!

I toyed with the idea that maybe people wouldn't notice. Or that they would think that's normal for crochet.

Nah.

It had to go.

So I unravelled everything and looked up tutorials for smooth edges. While I was at it, I also looked up the foundation stitches. There were too many chains and I was feeling shackled by them.

I then practised until I got the elements right and went for foundation hdcs, but with a beginning of 3 ch instead of 2. I wanted to count that as a hdc and I needed the little caps to work into. Then I used the stacked sc instead of turning chains on subsequent rows and always counted that as a stitch, since it was bulky enough anyway.

Evenness achieved!

Well, evenness enough for my standards.

Now, will I decide it's too wide and uncomfortable and frog it again? Only time will tell. I will decide when I have enough length to wrap it around my neck. Until then, here's a photo of the beginning twist:

 

'Tis navy blue, I tell you! You just have to take my word for it.


9 comments:

  1. We’ll, you learnt a lot from the first version, it’s all good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems I learn a bit more with every crochet project and it's loads of fun!

      Delete
  2. I went back to read your previous post (I seem to have missed that one) and your post-frogging tweaks have certainly worked! It looks so much better now. 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm self taught and there are many ways to make the basic elements. It took a while to find the techniques I think create a neater result.

      Delete
  3. sometimes a re-do is the best. I've been knitting - wraps (triangle shape). And, when I tear out a section, I usually feel better once I get the pattern right. Good luck. This should be great once finished

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's quite nice seeing it come out better on the next try, definitely!

      Delete
  4. I've been crocheting for about 60 years, and I still run into problems with getting even edges. I've tried several techniques, but I never seem to remember which ones work for me when I start a new project. I love the dimensional look of this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I also forget the techniques I discover that work for me, so I've been making notes.

      Delete

Any feedback or questions are welcome.