Thursday, April 8, 2021

Back to the old ways

Oof, it seems that lately I have been re-doing rather than doing and very few things are actually turning out well.

I have been making piles of botched and cut off tatting every evening, not really happy with the results, afraid of having too many ends to hide and just throwing away good thread... I need to snap out of it!

I guess after a longer pause, things don't come as easily and good old tricks are forgotten.

For example, I did remember that the best way of working an even ring would be to always clasp the knots tightly before pulling on the thread to enlarge it, so they don't bunch up against each other. The tension shouldn't be too tight or too lose, but consistent. Although I have been making tighter knots for the coasters (I don't like flabby coasters). And I had completely forgotten a good trick to closing a ring: bringing the two ends close together and holding the knots between my fingers as tightly as possible, so none of them shift away from the rest.

Another idea I was trying to forget (but was forced to remember) is that my preferred method of hiding ends is to sew them into the knot caps. There is less bulk for the chain or ring and it seems to come undone less easily. I was never afraid of hiding ends before and I'm slowly getting back to that "bravery". I have things I made that I put through the washing machine or even scrubbed with a brush to clean and no ends came out. One thing to avoid here... hiding two ends under the same section.

I'm also unhappy with the split chain, no matter how much I brag about learning it. I can't seem to be able to control the tension on the no knot part. Either that, or I don't get the length of the chain right. So I'll put my tail between my legs and grab that needle and whip stitch those thread ends, as I used to.

Here is another coaster I made that I am finally happy with. The pattern is part of the Veronica doily, by Tatting lace, Marmelo.

There are about 7 or 8 ends hiding in there!
 

Take care everyone and don't forget your tried and true methods!

2 comments:

  1. It’s always a little shocking to me how much I forget when I don’t do a craft for a while. Habits I take for granted need to be relearnt. You’ll get back into the swing of it. It is difficult to make a split chain with exactly the same curve as the other chains. For me anyway. The coaster looks great, I can’t spot hidden ends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not like riding a bike... even riding a bike is not like riding a bike, had to relearn that too! :) Thank you!

      Delete

Any feedback or questions are welcome.